Heavy rainfall and thunderstorm is likely to hit several areas of Sindh which may cause urban flooding, however, following the mentioned precautionary methods can keep you safe :
- First of all, install your home’s stoves, water and electric heaters and electrical panels high. Poor electrical wiring in homes can also cause accidents. Check electrical wiring, remove any faults.
- Necessary items that could get damaged by water due to being on the ground floor of houses or buildings should be removed and kept on upper floors.
- Take steps to prevent flood water from accumulating inside your home, yard, or drains. If possible, build a fence to prevent floodwaters from entering the building. If someone have a basement, make the walls waterproof.
- Determine how much the building in which you live is safe. If it is not safe, take steps to secure it, otherwise vacate the building.
- Damage caused by rains can lead to long-term power outages, so it is important to have a kit that includes non-perishable food, water, battery-powered or hand-cranked radios including extra flashlights and batteries.
- For emergencies, plan places inside and outside the neighborhood where your family and neighbors will meet and can go.
In a city like Karachi, if the citizens have to go out in dire need, they must take some precautionary measures ;
- Keep something solid in hand. Usually a stick used by the elderly is useful. It also provides support and can be used to identify pits etc. while walking.
- Garbage and debris also comes with the fast flowing water, which can contain solid and sharp objects, colliding with them is also dangerous for human life. Wear strong shoes, usually called long shoes, more protective in the water.
- Motorcycles, small vehicles should not be used at all as they usually get submerged in water which can lead to more problems.