‘We want to establish a government that includes all sides’
The Taliban on Tuesday held their first official news conference in Kabul, telling media that they seek to establish an inclusive government in Afghanistan.
“We want to establish a government that includes all sides,” said the Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid, adding that they want an end to the war.
Following are the statements of the Taliban official:
- We will soon reach a settlement through which an Islamic government will be established in the country
- Islamic emirate is pledging to all world countries that no threat will be posed to any country from Afghanistan.
- We do not have enmity toward anyone and based on our leader’s orders we have pardoned everyone..
- Kabul security is improving day by day as our forces have been stationed in various places
- The security of foreign embassies is important to us and we pledge that the embassies will be completely safe.
- Afghans have the right to apply rules that match the people’s values; therefore, other countries should respect these rules.
- We are committed to providing women their rights based on Islam. They can work in the health sector and other sectors where they are needed.
- We want all media outlets to continue their activities but no broadcast should contradict Islamic values and national interest.
- We have pardoned everyone and will not take revenge against anyone, including former military members and those who worked with the foreign forces.
- No one will go to anyone’s house and people should make sure the Taliban have forgiven all those who were in the regime, or those who worked with US forces.
- We can assure the world that Afghanistan will no longer be a hub for poppy. We need the world’s support to promote an alternative for poppy cultivation.
Responding to the question about differences between the 1990s Taliban and them, Mujahid has said that the ideology and beliefs are the same because they are Muslims, but there is a change in terms of experience–they are more experienced and have a different perspective.