Trump says 11 US troops lifted from Iraq after Iran attack had headaches
DAVOS: United States President Donald Trump on Wednesday said the 11 US troops, who were lifted from Iraq after an Iran attack in retaliation to killing of its top commander Qasem Soleimani, had headaches.
“I heard that they had headaches and a couple of other things but I would say, as per reports, that it’s not very serious,” Donald Trump said responding to a question during a press conference in Davos.
To another query whether he considered potential traumatic brain injuries serious, he said he did not consider it very serious for he had seen far worse.
“They told me about it numerous days later. No, I don’t consider them very serious injuries. I have seen what Iran has done with their roadside bombs to our troops. I have seen people with no legs and with no arms. I have seen people that were horribly horribly injured and in fact most of those bombs were put there by Soleimani who is no more with us. I consider them to be really bad injuries.
“No, I do not consider them to be bad injuries (referring to the brain injuries) now.”
To a query, he said the European Union had not treated the United States very well on the trade deal.
On Jan 16, atleast 11 American troops were wounded in an Iranian assault on an Iraqi base where American soldiers were stationed, US Central Command had confirmed, although the US military had previously reported that there had been no casualties.
“While no US service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on al-Asad Air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” US Central Command spokesman Captain Bill Urban had said in a statement.
Most of the 1,500 US troops at the base had been sent to their bunkers at the time of the attack, with an advance warning from authorities.
According to previous reports from the US military, the attack had caused considerable material damage but no casualties.
In the morning after the shot, US President Donald Trump had said that “no American was injured in last night’s attack.”