Allah Almighty has declared the month of Muharram among the 4 honorable and sacred months of Islam. The importance of the month is mentioned in the Quran
“Verily, the number of months with Allah is twelve (in a year): It was so ordained, by Allah on the Day when He created the heavens and the earth; of them, four are sacred. That is the right religion, so wrong not yourselves therein…” [al-Tawbah 9:36]
and further explained by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: The year is twelve months, of which four are sacred: three consecutive months, Dhu al-Qa‘dah, Dhu al-Hijjah and Muharram, and Rajab of Mudar which comes between Jumaada and Sha‘baan.” (Narrated by al-Bukhari 2958)
The world remembers 10th Muharram for the “Battle of Karbala” and mourns for Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) grand son Hazrat Hussain (RA) death. Yazid had martyred Imam Hussain and seventy-two of his companions including his six month old son Ali Asghar, and that their women and children were taken as prisoners to Syria. Apart from this, there are many Prophetic events of great historical importance happened on 10th of Muharram.
On the day of Ashura:
1. Allah bestowed Prophet Moses (Musa) the miracle of splitting the Red Sea, saved him with his people and flooded the Pharaoh and his soldiers.
2. Prophet Nuh’s arc landed on Mount Judi.
3. Prophet Yunus (Jonah) got out of the belly of the fish.
4. Allah (swt) accepted Prophet Adam’s repentance on Ashura.
5. Prophet Yusuf (Joseph) came out of the well that he was thrown.
6. Prophet Isa (Jesus) was born on Ashura and and ascended to the heaven on Ashura, as well.
7. Prophet Dawud’s (David) repentance was accepted.
8. Prophet Abraham was born.
9. Prophet Yaqup (Jacop)’s eyesight, which he had lost years ago was restored.
10 Ayni (ra) states that:” Some people mentions Idris (Enocha), Ayyub (Job) and Sulayman (Solomon) amongst the ten prophets, because Idrıs was ascented to the heaven on that day. Ayyub recovered from his illness and Sulayman was bestowed wealth. (Sahihi Muslim)
Other significant events took place on the Day of Ashura
Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) stated the following regarding Ashura:
- On the Day of Ashura Allah (swt) created the seven heavens, seas, mountains, the pen, Lawh-I Mahfuz (the preserved table), the stars, the Kursi, Angel Gabriel and the other angels.
- The first rain fell from the sky on the Day of Ashura.
- The end of the world will come on Ashura.
Changing of the Holy Kaaba’s cover
In the time of our Beloved Prophet (swt), Kaaba’s covering used to be renewed on the ashura day of every year.
It was narrated from Hazrat Aisha (RA):
“Ashura is the day which Kaaba is covered.” (Muslim, Abu Dawud)