PESHAWAR: The federal and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa governments have confirmed Pakistan’s first two deaths from Coronavirus in Mardan and Peshawar.
Earlier one death from the virus was reported in Lahore and another in Gilgit-Baltistan’s Chilas area. Later, both the fatalities had been declared to have happened from diseases other than COVID-19. Contrary to media reports, Gilgit Baltistan Secretary Home Department Mohammed Ali Randhawa had clarified that “No death by Coronovirus in Gilgit-Baltistan till now.” While, interestingly, the first case was confirmed by Health Secretary Rashid Ahmed at a news conference.
Five new cases of coronavirus infections have emerged in Punjab, climbing the total number of infections to 299 across the country.
KP Chief Minister’s Adviser on Information Ajmal Khan Wazir said the first deceased, a 50-year-old patient identified as Saadat Khan, resident of Manga village, had arrived from Saudi Arabia on March 9. He said his test came positive on Mar 17.
Special Assistant to Prime Minister on National Health Services Dr Zafar Mirza also confirmed two deaths from coronavirus in the country.
In a tweet, he said a 50-year old person from Mardan recently returned from Umra, tested positive for coronavirus.
Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Minister for Finance and Health, Taimur Khan Jhagra said that another patient of Coronavirus who was under treatment at Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar passed away due to virus infection. He was 36 years and hailed from Hangu.