LAHORE: Cricket commentator and former opening batsman Ramiz Raja on Tuesday revealed name of the Karachi Kings player who has been tested positive for coronavirus which paved the way for postponement of the Pakistan Super League 2020 immediately as a precautionary measure to stop from further damage.
Talking to media in Lahore, Ramiz Raja said the entire event was disturbed because of Karachi Kings batsman Alex Hales as he has reportedly shown symptoms of coronavirus.
“It is very unfortunate that the PSL 2020 has been postponed as we had come well prepared for it. However, it is a good thing that the decision has been taken with great care,” he said.
Former skipper said he also had to be tested for the infection on Tuesday (today). He further said that in absence of spectators, the colors of the mega cricket event had become dull.
Alex Hales is currently in isolation centre in England.
Talking to media in Lahore, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Wasim Khan (without revealing the name) confirmed that an overseas player had shown symptoms of the virus.
He said the PSL 2020 had been postponed because of coronavirus fear.
The PCB has announced to postpone the Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2020 indefinitely. The decision has been taken by the PCB and PSL franchises unanimously, owing to concerns of coronavirus in Pakistan.
The decision seems to be extremely sound and timely as one of the players participating in the league and belonging to the PSL teams which have made it to reach semifinals has reportedly contracted the virus.
In an announcement, the Pakistan Super League through its official Twitter account stated, “HBL PSL V has been postponed and will be rescheduled. More details to follow in due course.”
Wasim Khan said there was nothing to panic. The player suspected of coronavirus disease had left the country, he said.
He said the board had aggressively been taking action on the developing situation from holding matches in empty grounds to preponement and regular screening.
The PCB CEO said the tournament would be rescheduled later after due consultation with the owners of the franchises.