Poisonous tortoise, 7 people dead
Seven people, including a child, have died after eating poisonous tortoise meat on the island of Pemba in Tanzania, Africa.
The report said that 38 people who ate the meat were admitted to the hospital.
According to local police, firstly a three year old child died after eating poisonous tortoise meat followed by two more deaths at night.
The next morning, the death toll rose to seven after four people were subject to eating poisonous meat.
Tortoise meat is loved in the coastal areas of Tanzania and other parts of Africa. However, the authorities have imposed a ban on the consumption of tortoise meat.
Tortoise meat consumption is generally considered safe. But selenium toxins, which are rarely found in turtle meat turn the meat toxic and deadly to consume.
Earlier in March, 19 people succumbed to death in Madagascar after eating tortoise meat.
Doctors say that the poisonous meat of tortoise affects children the most.