Pentagon confirms 100 troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries after Iran’s missile attack in Iraq
WASHINGTON: The United States has confirmed that over 100 its troops diagnosed with brain injuries from Iran’s missile attack in Iraq.
In a statement, Pentagon said that so far 109 US service members had been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury.
Earlier, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army General Mark Milley, said that the service members suffering from traumatic brain injuries had been diagnosed with mild cases. Meanwhile, US Republican Senator Joni Ernst said more answers were needed in this regard.
On Jan 31 the Pentagon had said the number of US troops wounded by an Iranian missile strike in Iraq had risen to 64.
U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier said that the missiles fired at a base housing U.S. soldiers west of the nation on Jan 8 did not hurt any Americans. Democrats later accused Trump of trying to downplay the wounds.
Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Campbell, a Pentagon spokesperson, had said in a statement on Jan 30 that the American troops had been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury (TBI).
On Jan 29 the Pentagon had said 50 soldiers were injured in the Ain al-Asad base strike in Iran. The latest total was a 16-fold increase on those numbers.