Pandemic rendered 20 mn people jobless in Pakistan : PBS survey
ISLAMABAD: A survey conducted by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) revealed that 20 million people of Pakistan have lost their means of living due to the lockdown imposed to curb the spread of Covid-19.
6.7 million people suffered reduction in their income due to the economic deterioration, as per the survey.
Moreover, Sindh has been the most affected province as 23% work force was cut down. Whereas, Punjab and Balochistan reduced workforce by 14% and 11% respectively.
Pakistan’s labour force was recorded at 55.7 million before Corona virus. However, this declined to 35 million as a result of lockdown.
However, the survey was also conducted among 6,000 households out of which 70% were from urban areas and remaining 30% from rural areas to record food insecurity.
The results revealed that 60% households had access to adequate food. 30% suffered moderate food insecurity whereas, 10% severely suffered the lack of access to food consumption.