Next year’s Oscars could be postponed due to the coronavirus disturbance in Hollywood, reported Tuesday by Variety, a trade publication.
The biggest evening of the film industry is reportedly scheduled for 28 February.
But with theaters shuttered, blockbusters postponed and productions suspended, the prize-giving Academy was already forced to make drastic changes to the rules.
One of the unnamed sources told Variety it was now “expected” that the ceremony would be postponed indefinitely.
There are yet to be concrete plans or comprehensive discussions about moving the case, or possible new dates, the report said.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences did not respond immediately to a request for comment from AFP.
Last month, the amademy — known as the Hollywood film industry’s main body — relaxed eligibility requirements, allowing this year’s films that miss the big screen to bid for Oscars.
At the time, the body also warned that “additional adjustments to Academy rules, eligibility requirements and scheduling may be required.”
“As previously announced, the 93rd Oscars telecast is scheduled to air Sunday, February 28, 2021, on ABC. Any updated information about the show will be shared at a later time,” it said in the statement last month.
Currently, films must be released by December 31 to be eligible for the Oscars of the following year, which are usually held in February or March.
It was not clear what effect a delay in the ceremony on eligibility rules would have if any.
The Oscars are the grand finale of a film award season beginning earnestly in early January with the Golden Globes.
Many film award shows are yet to declare delays in their ceremonies, although others are loosened restrictions on eligibility too.
Both America’s Directors Guild and America’s Producers Guild said Tuesday it would allow streaming titles this year.
Primetime Emmys ceremony on television is still scheduled for September.
A virtual occurrence has already replaced the earlier and lower-profile Daytime Emmys.