No Pakistani in China infected with coronavirus, confirm FM Qureshi, Chinese envoy
ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has asked the Pakistani community in China not to get worried as all precautionary measures are being taken.
In a statement, he said no Pakistani in China has been infected with the coronavirus and we are in constant contact with our Embassy in Beijing.
The Foreign Minister asked the non-registered Pakistani students to get registered with Embassy.
In a video message on Jan 27, Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan Yao Jing had said Pakistan and China were working together to deal with the outbreak of coronavirus.
He had said all Pakistani students in Wuhan were safe from the virus and were well attended by the local and central government of China.
He had said that the Pakistani Embassy in Beijing was reviewing the situation closely and all efforts were being taken to facilitate the Pakistani community in Wuhan.
“Both the countries are in close coordination to extend the due and necessary assistance for protection of the lives of Pakistani students,” he had said.
Yao Jing had said Chinese community in Pakistan was under observation but no case of coronavirus had been detected in Pakistan so far. He had appreciated the role of health department of Pakistan in this regard.
The ambassador had said Pakistan and China were continuously sharing information on the cases of corona virus and mutual collaboration between the two countries will help in controlling and fighting the virus.
On Jan 26, Foreign Office Spokesperson Aisha Farooqui had said more than 500 students and other Pakistani community members in Wuhan and other parts of China were safe and there was no report of Coronavirus infection in any of the community member.
In a press release, the spokesperson had reassured full support to the community and requested them to follow health protocols issued by the Chinese authorities.
She had said the foreign ministry and Pakistan Embassy in China were actively monitoring the situation of Coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China.
A 62-year-old doctor had on Jan 25 expired in China’s Central Hospital of Wuhan city after treating coronavirus patients, which had climbed the death toll to 41.
According to reports, 39 people had died in central Hubei province, one in north Hebei province while one in northeast Heilongjiang province, bordering Russia and some 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles) from Wuhan.
Chinese health authorities had announced that 1,287 confirmed cases of coronavirus including 237 in critical conditions, had been reported in the country on Jan 24.
Cases have been reported in Thailand, Japan, South Korea, US, Taiwan and Japan too.
In an unprecedented quarantine initiative, China has sealed millions of residents near the epicenter of a virus outbreak, shutting down public transport in an eighth city as the death toll from the disease rose to 26.
Hubei’s Wuhan city is known as the hub of the outbreak.
While the World Health Organization has avoided announcing a global emergency following confirmed cases in half a dozen other countries, China extended a lockdown now affecting some 26 million people and cancelled some celebrations of the Lunar New Year to prevent further spread of the disease.