KARACHI: Karachi Port Trust (KPT) Chairman Jameel Akhtar on Monday said no gas leakage was found within the limits of the KPT.
Addressing a press conference in Karachi regarding the mysterious gas leakage that killed six and affected about one hundred others, Jameel Akhtar said Pakistan Navy had collected samples of the gas and soon its report would be made public.
All the terminals had been checked at port but no leakage was found, he said adding that work at the port had resumed normally.
He said the rumours spreading on social media about source of the gas leakage were unfounded. He offered media to visit port terminals and berth to confirm.
Six people were killed and more than 100 affected in Karachi’s Keamari area on Sunday night after the mysterious gas leaked from unknown source.
Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Ali Zaidi confirmed six deaths. Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah ordered free medical treatment to all those affected.
The KPT chairman said at the time the news of gas leakage broke, two ships were anchored at port’s terminal, one of crude oil and the other of base oil. He said the ship shown in a video on social media with claims that it sprayed some toxic chemicals was not true as it was a soybean ship, which had arrived directly from the United States, which follows strict safety rules.
He said if something had had to happen due to the soybean oil ship, then those workers would have affected who were working on it.