The Indian state of Kerala, already plagued by a second wave of corona epidemics, is now at risk of spreading a virus which is more dangerous virus than COVID-19. The Indian Ministry of Health on Sunday received the bad news that a 12-year-old boy had been confirmed dead in Kerala with the Nipah virus.
According to reports, two more people have also shown symptoms of Nipah virus. The Nipah virus infection was first confirmed in the Indian state of Kerala in May 2018. At that time, 17 people had lost their lives to the virus.
Now, once again, the spread of Nipah virus has been confirmed in Kerala. Authorities are racing to contain the deadly Nipah virus outbreak in India. A team from the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) of the federal government of India has been immediately dispatched to Kerala to provide technical assistance to the state health department.
Symptoms of infection in two people
Health officials say the situation is under control this time around and the administration is following protocol (SOPs).
Kerala Health Minister Veena George said 20 of the 188 people who had direct contact with the 12-year-old boy who died were in critical condition. The two people who showed symptoms of the virus are also among the 20 people.
However, officials say there is nothing to worry about. The health department is closely monitoring the situation.
It is important to know what the virus is and how it spreads.
How does the Nipah virus spread?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), NiV virus (NiV) is a rapidly spreading virus that causes serious diseases in animals and humans.
The virus, which is more dangerous virus than COVID-19, was first found in pigs in Nipah, a town in Malaysia, in 1998, from where it got its name.
The virus is said to have spread from animals to about 300 people and has killed more than 100 people. Nipah virus is a disease which gets transmitted by bats, and Hendra virus which was found in Australia for the first-ever time falls into the same category.
In 2004, some people in Bangladesh became infected with the virus. They had tasted the liquid coming out of the palm tree and there were fruit bats that were known to carry the virus through the liquid.