The ‘brain-eating’ amoeba Naegleria fowleri has taken 15th life in Karachi.
The 15th victim has been identified as 19-year-old Hameedullah Gul from Rasheedabad. According to JPMC Executive Director Dr Seemin Jamali, the boy was brought unconscious to the emergency room at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre on Thursday.
His condition got worst and he was put on a ventilator. He passed away on Friday morning.
Earlier, a 26-year-old man had also died due to the disease while undergoing treatment at the Aga Khan University Hospital. He was suspected to have contracted the disease while swimming in a pool that wasn’t properly chlorinated.
The deadly infection is transmitted by Naegleria fowleri, which thrives in warm, freshwater sources such as lakes, rivers and swimming pools. However, in Karachi, it is believed that leaky water pipes which reduce chlorination on the way to people’s houses are to blame.
Until the government takes any action, people can protect themselves from the virus by using chlorine tablets for their water tanks at their house. People should also switch to use drinking water or boiled water for wuzu.