KARACHI: National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Justice (R) Javed Iqbal on Thursday took notice of complaints of masses against electricity supplying company of Karachi, K-Electric.
The NAB chairman directed the accountability bureau’s Karachi office to conduct inquiry into the reports of KE’s not modernizing its system and non-compliance with the agreement signed with the government.
“The NAB will not allow KE go scot-free in alleged embezzlement of billions of rupees,” he said. He also directed NAB Karachi to get a copy of the agreement between the government and the power company.
On Jul 9, Minister for Power Omar Ayub Khan had said the federal government had taken steps to improve the power supply in Karachi in order to address the problems of the people of Karachi.
Responding to a calling attention notice in the National Assembly, he had said, “We are providing additional one hundred megawatt of electricity to the K-electric more than the contract agreement signed with it.”
The power minister had said thirty thousand metric tons of furnace oil and 100 mmcfd gas had been provided to the company. He said the government would provide more gas to the K-electric which would help it generate two hundred megawatts of power.