MQM founder Altaf Hussain released on bail ‘for lack of evidence’
KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) founder Altaf Hussain, who was arrested in London over charges of incendiary speeches, has been released on bail on Wednesday.
The MQM founder has been directed to report to the police in mid-July. Media sources said he had been released for lack of evidence.
“A man in his 60s arrested in connection with an investigation into a number of speeches made by an individual associated with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) in Pakistan has today, Wednesday, 12 June been bailed to return to a police station in mid-July,” said a press statement by Metropolitan Police.
Scotland Yard on Tuesday arrested Altaf Hussain on suspicion of the incendiary speech of 2016 in which he urged his followers to attack media houses. In a later speech, Hussain had also issued threats to the then director general Sindh Rangers, Lieutenant General Bilal Akbar.
Metropolitan Police had said, “He was arrested on suspicion of intentionally encouraging or assisting offences contrary to Section 44 of the Serious Crime Act 2007.”
The police said officers were carrying out a search at the north west London address. Detectives were also searching a separate commercial address in north west London, said the police.
“The investigation, which is being led by officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, is focused on a speech broadcast in August 2016 by an individual associated with the MQM movement in Pakistan as well as other speeches previously broadcast by the same person.
“Throughout the investigation, officers have been liaising with Pakistani authorities in relation to our ongoing enquiries,” said Metropolitan Police.
The Scotland Yard officers have been liaising with Pakistani authorities in relation to the ongoing enquiries.
In November 2017, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) had submitted a charge sheet before a court against the MQM founder in a case related to terror financing and money laundering.
The investigation officer of the FIA had submitted the interim report before the anti-terrorism court, in which he placed five witnesses.