Mark Zuckerberg to review policies after backlash over Trump’s controversial posts
Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, vowed to review the platform ‘s policies which led to his decision not to moderate controversial messages posted by US President Donald Trump.
The announcement appeared aimed at quenching aggression within the company which was so severe that it prompted a few to quit.
The uproar was ignited when Zuckerberg said that after the killing of George Floyd, Facebook would not delete or flag Trump’s recent posts that seemed to promote abuse against those who oppose racism by police.
Zuckerberg wrote on Friday: “We’re going to review our policies allowing discussion and threats of state use of force to see if there are any amendments we should adopt.”
This includes “excessive use of police or state force. Given the sensitive history in the US, this deserves special consideration.”
“The decision I made last week has left many of you angry, disappointed and hurt,” Zuckerberg said in the letter, which he posted on his Facebook page.