KARACHI: In the first such case of Pakistan this year, a man has died of naegleria in Karachi on Thursday.
According to the Sindh government’s health department, the 30-year-old Muhammad Ali, who lost his life due to naegleria, was a resident of Quaidabad.
The late Muhammad Ali was diagnosed with Naegleria on June 2, 2021, after which he was treated at the hospital where he passed away.
The health experts said that “the brain eating amoeba” lived in clean water and it entered into brain’s membrane through nose. It starts eating the brain which causes the death.
According to experts, this bacterium does not survive in brackish water and it also dies in water containing 50% chlorine.