Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is spreading like a wildfire and has hit a large number of countries, including Pakistan now. Scientists have identified symptoms of the virus which include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, and breathing difficulties. In more intense cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
In order to ensure protection from the deadly disease, here are some helpful ways of preventing yourself from getting infected as advised by the World Health Organisation:
- If you see someone coughing/sneezing, it is best to keep your distance at 2m to 0.5m from the person, or hand them a mask so that they can sneeze into it and protect everyone else from getting infected.
- Avoid large crowds as nobody knows who might have been infected.
- Viruses can last for upto 24 hours on objects, and the only effective way to eradicate them is to wash them off with soap.
- Be sure to thoroughly wash the back of your hands, between the fingers,and under the nails, for a good 20 seconds.
- Do not touch your or anyone’s face without washing your hands with soap first.
- Do not share food, utensils, cups, or towels.
- Throw away the masks once they start feeling contaminated, do not wear them for more than a day. Bacteria grow on the insides of the mask if you wear them too long. Refrain from touching the outside of the mask if you can. If you happen to have touched it, just wash your hands with soap afterwards.
- Always remember to wash your hands with soap before you eat and after being out in public.