Balochistan’s Counter-Terrorist Department (CTD) on Friday revealed that suicide bomber who targeted Chinese nationals in last month’s attack in Gwadar, had come from Chahbahar region of Iran.
The CTD said in a statement that it had arrested three members of the outlawed Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) as it had earlier claimed responsibility of the Gwadar attack.
According to the CTD, one of the militants arrested in connection with the incident shared the details during the investigation.
“He (anonymous) disclosed that Rasool Bux resident of Sheeran Chahbahar area of Iran is the mastermind of the attack,” the statement said.
It further mentioned: “Arif S/o [son of] Dur Muhammad alias Dura disclosed that his brother Ahmed transported the suicide bomber from Ramin area of Iran. He [Arif] received the suicide bomber on his arrival on [the] night [between] 10/11 August and provided a place for him to stay near [the] Customs Warehouse.”
The CTD has claimed that three suspected BLA militants were arrested from Turbat during an intelligence-based operated
Earlier, on August 20, a vehicle carrying Chinese national had been targeted by a suicide bomber. Two boys were killed while while several others including a Chinese national had remained injured.
The BLA identified the suicide attacker as Sarbland Baloch alias Umer Jan belonging to its Majeed Brigade.
According to media reports, the vehicle was targeted when it was taking Chinese nationals back to their camp as they were working working on the under-construction East-Bay Expressway.
Responding to the incident, the Chinese diplomatic mission in Islamabad had issued a statement, seeking “practical and effective measures” to ensure the safety of their countrymen working in Pakistan.
The BLA has remained engaged in attacking security forces and Chinese national in relation to sabotaging the CPEC influence in Balochistan.