Govt withdraws petition against Shehbaz Sharif
LAHORE: The federal government has withdrawn the petition demanding the Lahore High Court (LHC) to annul its verdict to allow the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif to travel abroad.
On May 17, Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed had said Shehbaz Sharif’s name had been placed on the Exit Control List (ECL).
“Marine and aerial organisations have been informed about the decision. Permission to Shehbaz to go abroad may affect the ongoing case against him,” the interior minister had said while addressing a press conference in Islamabad.
On Apr 22, the LHC had approved Shehbaz Sharif’s bail in assets beyond means case. On Oct 20, 2020, an accountability court of Lahore had sent Shehbaz Sharif on judicial remand in money laundering and assets beyond means case.
Hearing the case, the court had however rejected plea of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for 14-day physical remand.