Doctors remove over 50 batteries from woman’s stomach
Ireland doctors removed at least 55 AA and AAA batteries from a 66-year-old woman’s stomach after she swallowed them in an apparent act of deliberate self-harm.
According to a report published in the Irish Medical Journal, the woman was treated at St Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin after swallowing about 55 batteries.
X-rays of the woman revealed the presence of cylindrical batteries in her body.
Initially, doctors waited for the batteries to pass the woman’s body naturally. However, she was able to excrete out five AA batteries in the first week but the others were stuck, according to the report in the Irish Medical Journal.
However, X-rays taken over the next three weeks showed that most of the batteries were still in the stomach, causing the woman to develop abdominal pain.
Later, doctors surgically removed 50 AA and AAA batteries from the woman’s stomach.
The authors of the articles said that this could be recorded as “the highest number of batteries ingested” by any human.