Centre to provide 62 pct funds of Karachi Transformation Plan: Asad Umar
KARACHI: Federal Minister for Planning, Development and Special Initiatives Asad Umar has said that the federal government would bear 62% of the total amount of Rs1,100 billion announced by Prime Minister Imran Khan for the Karachi Transformation Plan (KTP) while the remaining 38% will be spent by the provincial government.
62 percent makes Rs748 billion and 38 percent makes Rs352 billion of the Rs1,100 billion package.
“Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah in a meeting had agreed upon not to reveal the share of both the governments,” said the federal minister while addressing a joint news conference with Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Ali Haider Zaidi and Federal Minister for Information Technology and Telecommunication Syed Amin-Ul-Haque at the Sindh Governor House.
However, he said that unfortunately, a video clip of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Chairperson Bilawal Zardari was doing rounds on social media in which he was claiming the major share of the Sindh government in the KTP.
Asad Umar said the stakeholders also should keep all the political differences aside and work jointly for the success of the historic transformation plan of the city. The progress of Pakistan was linked with progress and development of Karachi, which was an economic hub of the country, he said.
The federal minister highlighted that major hurdle in the development of the city was non availability of total authority.
Asad Umar expressed the hope that the Sindh chief minister would be allowed by his party leadership to work jointly with the federal government for the betterment of Karachi.
To a question, he replied that under the transformation plan, in first phase, rain drains would be completely cleaned, whereas the provincial government had taken responsibility to rehabilitate the displaced people from the illegal encroachments.
About the completion of public transport projects, Asad Umar said that the Green Line Bus Rapid Transport System would complete in 2021 and the Karachi Circular Railway would complete in 2023.