Amid fears that the latest coronavirus could be lethal for the elderly, a 64-year-old infected man in Karachi has been discharged from the hospital after full recovery, government officials have reported.
Journalist Omar Qureshi tweeted on Thursday that a 64-year-old with coronavirus has recovered in Pakistan.
The tweet had come after reports said the hospital discharged a second patient infected with the COVID-19.
The development was confirmed by Sindh government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab, saying the 64-year-old had tested negative and sent back home.
On Wednesday, provincial health officials had said the second Karachi coronavirus patient was improving and would be released soon if his condition improved further.
On February 29, the resident of the Kharadar neighborhood of the port city was admitted to Civil Hospital. Further examinations were carried out on Wednesday and were sent to the laboratory, according to the hospital administration.
“The patient would be discharged if the test results are negative,” the hospital administration had added.
COVID-19 patient’s family members have also been screened the day he contracted the virus. The tests, however, had been negative.
Earlier, the first patient with coronavirus was released following complete recovery from hospital.
For the past 10 days, the patient has been in isolation and recovery, and has been checked three times.
The young patient, who is suspected to have contracted the virus in the holy city of Qum in Iran, was diagnosed on 26 February and eventually moved to a private hospital’s isolation ward. He had journeyed in a group of 28 pilgrims to the Islamic Republic.