T he New Year celebrations kicked off across the country to welcome 2020 with fireworks displays and lively celebrations, but many people got injured in Karachi due to celebratory aerial firing on the occasion.
Different parts of the city including Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Malir, Korangi, Defence Housing Authority, Federal B Area, Saddar, Liaquatabad and Nazimabad echoed with gunshots as the clock ticked 12.
As a result of the carelessness, at least 11 people including a minor boy were injured.
According to the details, the injured were identified as
- Rahul Pervez, 28, resident of Saddar. He was taken to Jinnah hospital.
- Nouman, 30, admitted to Jinnah hospital.
- Amjad, 22, injured in DHA Phase VII.
- Areeba, 22, injured in Federal B Area’s Block 16.
- 12-year-old Amna Baneem Sajjad got injured in Gulshan-e-Iqbal’s Block 4. She was taken to Aga Khan Hospital for treatment.
- Shakeelur Rehman, 35, injured in Korangi. He is currently being treated at Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.
- 55-year-old Mateeullah got injured in Pirabad’s Qasba Colony.
- 18-year-old Hina received a gunshot wound on her face. She is a resident of Buffer Zone’s Sector 16-A.
- Azeem, 18, injured in Sharifabad. He was shifted to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.
- Hasnain, 20, got injured in Baldia Swat Colony. He was shifted to Civil Hospital.
- Amir Abbas got injured in Gulberg. He is presently being under doctor’s supervision in Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.
Although, from the night of 31st December to January 1st 2020, the Sindh government had imposed a ban on aerial firing and pillion riding.